I began my life in a Christian home and in a Christian church. We had daily family devotions and were always at church every time the doors were open. So, like a well-indoctrinated devotee, I went to the altar at age 12 and gave my life to the Lord. But, did I? For 10 years, until age 22, the Lord allowed me to wander in dry places. I had no assurance of being saved. I didn't know what it was like to be in God's Will. I knew nothing of feeling God's love. Since I didn't feel it, neither did I receive it or give it. I was miserable, still a slave to sin, and differed nothing from an unsaved person (Galatians 4:1). At age 22, God caused me to live a small portion of 2 Kings 19. He caused similar events concerning Hezekiah and Sennacherib to happen between my public school supervisor and myself. In this process, He exposed the rebellion still in my heart. As I was in prayer over a letter that my supervisor wrote to begin dismissal proceedings against me, the Holy Spirit zapped me hard with verse 22. He told me loud and clear that in going against my supervisor, I was going against God as well, who placed my supervisor over me. After repenting, God miraculously intervened, preserved my job, and taught me that all His Word can be lived literally as well as spiritually. He taught me that living His Word is the same as living His personality (2 Peter 1:4) and having a living relationship with Him. Through relationship instead of religion, He created an award-winning person and teacher out of me, to love my wife, my children, my students, my neighbors, and my church. I've learned that being a Christian is growing in levels of relationship with God that deepen, broaden, and heighten all at the same time. I want to be like Abraham--God called him His friend. If the woman with the issue of blood needed only to touch the hem of His garment for virtue to flow into her, I position myself on His lap every night and wrap myself in His garments for His virtue to flow through me all night long. This same way, He is with me all day long as well. Salvation is beginning a relationship. Sanctification is deepening the relationship. I gave up religion to have an intimate relationship with God.

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I love that you keep talking to me Dave. Please don't stop! Thank you! I have always been insecure so I guess I have some life changes to go through. I appreciate all that you say and it helps me immensely! God Bless You!! I'm going to go read my Book!
  • Dave Knauss said:
    Val said:
    Hi Dave,

Goodness...you certainly started something didn't you!! I love it. I thank you for keeping on me about all of this. I think I am getting the hang of it. I converse with God throughout the day and I take some time in the evening to pray. I just get confused. I feel as if I am praying for the same thing and I thought I heard someone say..(not in here) that God doesn't want us to pray the same prayer all the time...or more than once? Maybe I'm wrong...(real good chance of that) As far as my church, I'm sure you are right. I have just been fearful that the reverend , who is one that I should be looking to for guidance, may try to influence me wrongfully. Is that stupid of me to feel that way? Regardless, I will find a church to go to..whether it be that one or another in my area. There are a number of them in my town. And I have discovered a book that I had called The Book, which is a modern day translation..I think...of the Living Bible. I have begun reading that with great understanding. I thank you ever so much for all of your help! This does my heart good to be here and to interact with you all! God Bless!

OK, your statement, "I feel as if I am praying for the same thing and I thought I heard someone say..(not in here) that God doesn't want us to pray the same prayer all the time...or more than once?" sounds more like religion than relationship to me. Ever have children of your own who kept asking for your help on the same thing over and over? And, if you're anything like me, you stopped and helped every time because you LOVE them, knowing there would come a day when they think they DON'T NEED you anymore. BUT they then return after some teenage years to ask for help once again--only this time they marvel at how wise you are! Where did we ever get the idea that God is a Great Impersonal thing out there in the distant somewhere? Wasn't it God that created loving earthly mothers and fathers, and so wouldn't HE know how to and be better than anyone else at PARENTING? While my children were in their teenage years, I proactively set their sights ahead by telling them that as they got older and wiser and better able to think on their own, I was not regressing, but I too was going in the same direction of growth.
    Dave K.

OK, so here's another reply--sorry--can't help it. Learn how to recognize satan whispering in your ears that you are no good and that everything you do is stupid and ungodly. If what you are thinking is condemning with shame in it, than that is satanic, because Jesus does not condemn (Rom. 8:1). If the Holy Spirit is admonishing, then there is always love and softness and acceptance of you--with NO shame. Jesus bore ALL our shame in every way you can imagine by hanging naked on the cross. And like shame, confusion too is satanic.
  • Val said:
    Hi Dave,

Goodness...you certainly started something didn't you!! I love it. I thank you for keeping on me about all of this. I think I am getting the hang of it. I converse with God throughout the day and I take some time in the evening to pray. I just get confused. I feel as if I am praying for the same thing and I thought I heard someone say..(not in here) that God doesn't want us to pray the same prayer all the time...or more than once? Maybe I'm wrong...(real good chance of that) As far as my church, I'm sure you are right. I have just been fearful that the reverend , who is one that I should be looking to for guidance, may try to influence me wrongfully. Is that stupid of me to feel that way? Regardless, I will find a church to go to..whether it be that one or another in my area. There are a number of them in my town. And I have discovered a book that I had called The Book, which is a modern day translation..I think...of the Living Bible. I have begun reading that with great understanding. I thank you ever so much for all of your help! This does my heart good to be here and to interact with you all! God Bless!

OK, your statement, "I feel as if I am praying for the same thing and I thought I heard someone say..(not in here) that God doesn't want us to pray the same prayer all the time...or more than once?" sounds more like religion than relationship to me. Ever have children of your own who kept asking for your help on the same thing over and over? And, if you're anything like me, you stopped and helped every time because you LOVE them, knowing there would come a day when they think they DON'T NEED you anymore. BUT they then return after some teenage years to ask for help once again--only this time they marvel at how wise you are! Where did we ever get the idea that God is a Great Impersonal thing out there in the distant somewhere? Wasn't it God that created loving earthly mothers and fathers, and so wouldn't HE know how to and be better than anyone else at PARENTING? While my children were in their teenage years, I proactively set their sights ahead by telling them that as they got older and wiser and better able to think on their own, I was not regressing, but I too was going in the same direction of growth.
    Dave K.
  • Hi Katy!

I am so happy about the outpouring of compassion and understanding, and guidance from everyone. I think Dave is right...although I didn't even think about it until he suggested it ...God has instilled desires inside of me to have a relationship with him. As I have said in previous posts, I feel as though a weight has been lifted off me when I come in here. I feel at peace. I have all of you to thank for that as well. God Bless You !!
  • Hi Dave,

• Considering where you think you are in your Christian growth, I am praising God for you. Going back to your first reply that describes the deep yearnings of your heart, Who is it (do you think) Who put those desires within you? (Notice I hint with the capital "W" !!!) You wonder if you are IN God's Will and IN His Purposes right now? Be puzzled no more--here's a verse that plainly says it all (and it is emotional and relational, not religious): 1 Thessalonians 5:18, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
    Dave K.
  • Hi Val!
    I just wanted to send you a warm greeting and tell you that I have total confidence that God will answer the cry of your heart. He longs to bring you into a close, personal, intimate relationship with Him. He does want to see in you a desire for Him. I believe He is giving you that desire. It is part of Him wooing you in His love. At some point you will have to count the cost. Do you want Him above all else? Would you do anything He asked you to do? For me, He had so thoroughly convinced me of His goodness that giving up doing my own thing for being willing to follow Him was like giving up a plate of garbage for a wonderful banquet of the best food imaginable. As soon as you make that decision to trust Him, make Him first in your life, and to live the rest of your life for Him, you will become His child. He will make sure that you know you are His. This is a journey and He is Lord of the journey. I pray the God will bless your journey today and that soon you will make the decision for total committment. He is so faithful! He proved it at the cross. In His love, Katie
  • Good morning everyone,
    I had no idea when I posted my little paragraph that it would catalyze such a conversation. Val, it's been great connecting with you. Don't apologize--that's why this site was created--to edify God's children. Let's consider basics--are you saved? I'd say YES from reading your thoughts and questions because "dead people" (unsaved) simply don't care to ask. You may presently be in Gal. 4:1+ wherein it says the son (saved person) in the beginning stages is no different from a servant (unsaved person) until a certain level of growth. I know Sarah's and Lisa's hearts and lives, and what they've told you completely lines up with what they live. What they've said completely agrees with what they do and where they are in Jesus. I make that point for you to ponder in your circumstances. The entire matter really goes back to where we've begun. You've asked us all these questions, but really, have you asked God? I'm going to keep pointing you back to Him. We can write lots and you can read tons, but still you need to be connected to the only satisfying source there is--God and a relationship with Him. So what have you done to connect with Him since beginning this whole conversation?
    (PS: May I challenge you more? Of course, your husband is completely opposite from you--that's the spiritual reason why you married him! As marriage acts out the roles of Christ and His church, our spouses have all the characteristics that we individually lack. When you live a meek and loving life around your spouse, God promises you will win him over and even bring him to salvation if he is not saved!)
    (PSS: Stop considering all the wrongs in your pastor and church. We're all woefully imperfect and have sorely come short of God's glory. In finding fault, you align yourself in agreement with satan, who is the day and night accuser of the brethren. Go to church instead with contentment and blessings, and then you live the characteristics of Jesus--full of grace and love. I view going to church as a calling from God--like being a missionary is a calling. He decided for me where my family and I attend, and I'll stay there until He decides otherwise. While I'm there, it makes no difference to me how everyone else acts or thinks. Back to, have you asked God? Leave religion behind for a relationship.)
    Blessings, Dave K.
  • Hi Lisa,

Bless your heart for your extending your hand to me. I have learned alot, just in the last two days from the three of you. Thank you for helping me understand about the Jehovahs and the Mormons. I'm so naive....but I figure, there's no stupid question. You haven't overwhelmed me in the least. On the contrary, I am getting alot out of everything everyone has told me and I am so grateful for you all. I was just pawing through my books and I discovered that I have a King James Bible, a Gideon Bible, a pocket size book My Way of Life-St. Thomas, and this last one made me stop and think....It's a paperback 1285 pages called The Book, a special edition of the Living Bible. I've had this book for years, and it's been sitting in my bookcase unread. I opened it up and there was this older piece of yellow lined paper folded in quarters. On the outside are the words "To You" I opened it up and just three little words: "I Love You". It looks like something my son made when he was a little boy but finding it in this book was heartwarming, to say the least. Needless to say, that is my bookmark! Have you ever heard of this book? As far as my reverand, the way it was explained to me was that she was pushing people to vote for Obama, and I didn't feel that it was right of her to use the pulput or her influence in the Church to try to persuade people one way or the other. It didn't make me feel good about going back there at all, so I will take your advice and search until I find one I am comfortable with. Things are becoming clearer for me, thanks to you kind people. I look forward to checking in here daily. It is my saving grace. God Bless You and I will talk with you soon!

Lisa said:
    Ok I admit it. I'm mystified by how this site works. That's humbling when some of you know me as a Tech type. I think I am replying to my own empty reply.
    Hey Val, I know I am new to you. I am friends with both Dave and Sarah. Great people! Dave invited me to the site. This discussion intrigued me so here I am. I see you have been asking some very real questions.
    We all live in Pa so the invite to Living Word may not be practicle for you. However, I do think you should find a church that works for you. It is ok to look around until you find one where you like the people and feel accepted. I don't think God cares about the denomination nearly as much as us humans. We may attend any number of churches that use any number of religious forms and styles. There is always someone who will say that your style is worng. The thing that makes the difference is how you personally see and relate to the Lord.
    I see that you mentioned backing off from a previous church because the Pastor was bringing the elections into the message. Different Pastors will handle that one in any number of ways. I think it is more of a legal issue, because of one of our silly laws than a spiritual issue. Was she explaining who the canidates lined up with the Bible? Nothing wrong with that. You will find that in any church there is always someone who disagrees with Pastor and is not afraid to say it. I am part of a church that has been through a major disagreement. Believe me I have heard bunches about Pastors' (He and she work as a team) limitations and errors. I said a few things myself. Be that as it may, I have since repented and by the grace of God am still attending that church.
    You asked what Bible translation to use. I find NIV to be easy to read and understand. You might also like a paraphase such as The Living Bible or The Message. Old King James is about the most difficult thing out there because we don't write or talk like that anymore.
    I see you are not sure if you are saved. Salvation is one of the keys to understanding the Word. You see the Bible is God's instructions to Christians. I can't give you the reference but it does say that God can hide the meaning for those who are not His own. When you accept Christ (another word for salvation) the Holy Sprit comes to help you understand the Word and how to walk with God. It does not have to be church thing. You can do it in your own home, the car, the woods, or the church, whatever works for you. Mostly it means asking/inviting the Lord into your life and repenting of any known sins such as anger toward people or God, or behavior not in line with the Bible. Believe me at 52 I don't expect you to list them all but you can if you want. That's all salvation really is. Then we a needto read the word and spend time with other Christians so that we can learn how to walk with God. Gods love for and acceptance of us is not affected by what we do. He loves us when we give to others at Christmas. He even loves us when we mess up so babdly that we lose our jobs or land in jail. You see it is not about what we do for God. It is about our relationship with Him.
    You mentioned that you have had encounters with Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses. They are both considered cults but base their beliefs on some things very similar to the Bible. However I don't think either views Jesus as the Risen Savior born of a virgin who died for our sins, is currently seated in heaven at the right hand of Father God and will return for us some day. For what it's worth the Bible says that Jesus is praying for us while he is in heaven.
    I have said quite lot here. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Hang in there. Keep praying even if it does not feel like God hears you. He does.
    Lisa

Lisa said:
    Val said:
    Sarah, you may be sorry you ever responded to me!! lol!! I can't wait to have grandchildren of my own to enjoy! On a side note, I just have to say....I was just over at TS catching up on a couple of groups and it always puts such a fear in my heart when I read of all this stuff going on. Just coming in here, I get a sense of peacefulness....maybe that is God at work. Take care...and thank you....again! God Bless You !

sarahjohns said:
    Val, I will write more but know this: you are in the right place here! God loves the questions and He has the answers! I'll write more when I get a chance, my 5 yr old granddaughter is here right now and she's patiently waiting for me to get off! God bless you in your journey! I look forward to getting to know you better & watch your adventure via this venue!
  • Ok I admit it. I'm mystified by how this site works. That's humbling when some of you know me as a Tech type. I think I am replying to my own empty reply.
    Hey Val, I know I am new to you. I am friends with both Dave and Sarah. Great people! Dave invited me to the site. This discussion intrigued me so here I am. I see you have been asking some very real questions.
    We all live in Pa so the invite to Living Word may not be practicle for you. However, I do think you should find a church that works for you. It is ok to look around until you find one where you like the people and feel accepted. I don't think God cares about the denomination nearly as much as us humans. We may attend any number of churches that use any number of religious forms and styles. There is always someone who will say that your style is worng. The thing that makes the difference is how you personally see and relate to the Lord.
    I see that you mentioned backing off from a previous church because the Pastor was bringing the elections into the message. Different Pastors will handle that one in any number of ways. I think it is more of a legal issue, because of one of our silly laws than a spiritual issue. Was she explaining who the canidates lined up with the Bible? Nothing wrong with that. You will find that in any church there is always someone who disagrees with Pastor and is not afraid to say it. I am part of a church that has been through a major disagreement. Believe me I have heard bunches about Pastors' (He and she work as a team) limitations and errors. I said a few things myself. Be that as it may, I have since repented and by the grace of God am still attending that church.
    You asked what Bible translation to use. I find NIV to be easy to read and understand. You might also like a paraphase such as The Living Bible or The Message. Old King James is about the most difficult thing out there because we don't write or talk like that anymore.
    I see you are not sure if you are saved. Salvation is one of the keys to understanding the Word. You see the Bible is God's instructions to Christians. I can't give you the reference but it does say that God can hide the meaning for those who are not His own. When you accept Christ (another word for salvation) the Holy Sprit comes to help you understand the Word and how to walk with God. It does not have to be church thing. You can do it in your own home, the car, the woods, or the church, whatever works for you. Mostly it means asking/inviting the Lord into your life and repenting of any known sins such as anger toward people or God, or behavior not in line with the Bible. Believe me at 52 I don't expect you to list them all but you can if you want. That's all salvation really is. Then we a needto read the word and spend time with other Christians so that we can learn how to walk with God. Gods love for and acceptance of us is not affected by what we do. He loves us when we give to others at Christmas. He even loves us when we mess up so babdly that we lose our jobs or land in jail. You see it is not about what we do for God. It is about our relationship with Him.
    You mentioned that you have had encounters with Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses. They are both considered cults but base their beliefs on some things very similar to the Bible. However I don't think either views Jesus as the Risen Savior born of a virgin who died for our sins, is currently seated in heaven at the right hand of Father God and will return for us some day. For what it's worth the Bible says that Jesus is praying for us while he is in heaven.
    I have said quite lot here. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Hang in there. Keep praying even if it does not feel like God hears you. He does.
    Lisa

Lisa said:
    Val said:
    Sarah, you may be sorry you ever responded to me!! lol!! I can't wait to have grandchildren of my own to enjoy! On a side note, I just have to say....I was just over at TS catching up on a couple of groups and it always puts such a fear in my heart when I read of all this stuff going on. Just coming in here, I get a sense of peacefulness....maybe that is God at work. Take care...and thank you....again! God Bless You !

sarahjohns said:
    Val, I will write more but know this: you are in the right place here! God loves the questions and He has the answers! I'll write more when I get a chance, my 5 yr old granddaughter is here right now and she's patiently waiting for me to get off! God bless you in your journey! I look forward to getting to know you better & watch your adventure via this venue!
This reply was deleted.