What it means: We are in CRISIS largely because we are not fulfilling the Great Commission to go make skilled followers of all nations, starting at home.
We are in danger of becoming Europe with only a few scattered believers. Look at the statistics.
- Builders (born 1927-1945) 65% are Bible-based believers
- Boomers (born 1946-1963) 35% are Bible-based believers
- Busters (born 1965-1983) 16% are Bible-based believers
- Bridgers or Millennials (born 1984- ) 4% are Bible-based believers
The solution: we need a plan to reach and teach people.
1. Breaking up the ground. One reason that we cannot reach people is because the ground is ‘hard’. God has given an excellent process for breaking up the hard ground: Street Preaching. Confrontational presentation of the gospel tends to shake up the status quo. This allows…
2. Planting the seed. We need to realize that in many ways reaching the current generation is like reaching foreign ‘tribes’ who do not have a base knowledge of Christ. One solution to this is to equip believers to engage in non-confrontational dialog. People can then fully hear about Christ before they decide to (or not to!) follow him. We will encourage churches, Open House and Common House attendees to be at the StreetPreaching events to establish the relationships that allow opportunities for dialog.
3. The Harvest. Paul Washer has said in his message, “10 Indictments Against the Modern Church” that he believes that the ‘prayer of salvation’ has sent more people to hell in our generation than any other single thing. Why? Because we lead people into prayers who are not ready for salvation. We want to avoid this pitfall and take the time to ask people to consider Christ, repent and as a public ceremony be baptized to show the world that they are leaving behind their old life for a new life in Christ.
4. Discipleship. We are developing trainings to make sure that new believers are instructed (equipped) in the ‘gateway’ skills. Think of gateway skills as reading, writing and math. These are the things we all need to know.
-apostolic. All need to be training on the importance of new works: some will start new works and some will support new works. We all need to be involved because our wineskins (current works) age and new ones need to be started continually.
-prophetic. We all need to be able to forth-tell the word of God, we need to know what God is saying to our hearts and we need to be able to test what we hear with the plumb-line of God’s truths
-evangelistic. We all need to be equipped to be effective witnesses for Christ
-pastoral. We all need to be equipped to provide care to others. This is vital if we are going to carry out the latter part of the Great Commandment: to love our neighbor as ourselves!
-teacher. We need to be equipped so we not only know the foundations of our faith and how to serve Christ effectively, but that we can also pass these on.
As new and existing believers are better instructed (equipped) in these gateway skills, we expect to see the proliferation of new works. In the next post, you will hear about some of them.
Go on to Part 4, New Works. Click HERE.