I've seen many church websites. They look like ordinary electronic brochures with ordinary organizational information. I don't mean to be fault-finding, but not many of them look business-like or professional, not very well organized or user-friendly, and nothing to attract an unsaved person to look for spiritual answers or attend the church. Can't I turn a website into a nationally and internationally powerful ministry tool (since it's out there on the world-wide web) and give people the answers they're desperately looking for even when they don't yet realize they're looking? Any ideas out there? How about I throw out a thought? Isn't a website a self-portrait of the person or organization it represents (just like a job is a self-portrait of the person who did it)? And in the realm of the church, isn't the person being represented Jesus Himself, and the organization His Body the Church? I realize I asked an intense question, but really, what are the best ways to have His Portrait, Heart, and Body show up?

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Laura states a fact that I think a lot of churches miss. Your website has the potential to be seen by millions of people world wide. ..

That is why it is SO important that you show the true heart of the ministry the best way you can.
  • Church websites, christian community sites reach christians around the world.
  • Alright, Dan, what a tremendous thought to consider a church website as a living entity. That's an eye opener!!! I'd like to read further how you spell this out in practical terms. Bet it would greatly encourage many pastors and church techies.
    Blessings, Dave
  • My opinion as a web developer, is that a church website is in many situations a brochure for the ministry in question, as it is often used in that sense. However this approach is one sided. The other side to this approach is to realize that a website is more than just a brochure or tract, and that it can be utilized as a full time ministry tool where people looking for a church can get information, but the congregants and other members of the body of Christ can collaborate and support one another. In many ways a properly designed website can become a "living" entity, as the community around it grows.
  • Hi Dennis,
    If you'd like a more exact review, post your question in the Web Ministries discussion thread under the above Groups tab. On brief perusal, one of our tech guys said you might want to consider (1) moving your top menu links over to the right a little aligning Home (etc) underneath the F in your Faith Tabernacle church name banner, (2) dropping the FTC Bookstore link at the upper left because you already have a Bookstore link right under your church name banner, then move the menu with the pastel colors up into its place, (3) moving much of what you have on your first page to other pages because no page should ever be scrolled more than three screens to see it all from top to bottom, and (4) having outreach ministry be the focus of your first page instead of church information. Our tech guy suggested you might also want to eliminate the HTML page transition effects.

I pray I didn't overwhelm or discourage you with these suggestions, because website design can be as personal, creative, and emotionally charged as writing a piece of music is to its composer.
    Blessings, Dave
  • Hi Dave, It's me, Dennis.
    I want to personally thank you for all of your help and support. Our church website is averaging about 800 hits a day. The significance of this is, our church is only about 150 members! I'd love to hear some feedback from you and others on improvements I could make for more outreach. Click on the link below to look at our site.

faithtabernaclehp.org
  • You never have a second chance to make a first impression is a term that websites should really really listen to Dave. I also think you could take it as far as too say that a bad first impression is worse then not making an impression at all.
    Negative reaction about your website can stop traffic.

Also something else I think is important to have on the website is ACCURATE contact information. You would be so surprised how many churches do not update this info.
  • Alright, guys, you rock! Love the analogy of Christ's business card--whoa, what a super concept. It's so true that inwardly people hate mediocrity. How does one determine what is impressive? Go one step beyond what is expected and everyone will be WOWED!!! This is applicable to attitude, demeanor, friendliness, appearance, job performance, quality of completed tasks, and so on!!! There is NEVER a second chance to make a first impression!
    Blessings, Dave
  • Mike,
    These are great points about a Church website! Any more, a Church website is like the Church's calling card or business card. Without a website, the church does not have a good first impression to the public, or they may even have NO impression! Yikes!
  • I want to try and attack this from the side of a person looking for a church.
    First NO FAKE PICTURES! This is a practice that many website builders use. Now some may ask what is a FAKE picture, well it is a picture that is not of anyone that attends your church. These pictures are used to to help a church look a certain way.
    Second- Show the heart of your ministry! This may seem like the first thing many churches would do however even some of the bigger ministries across the country lose site of what they are really trying to do.
    Third- Make message available, for me this is SOOO important. If you can get people interested online if they are local they may get up sunday and come in person.
    Those are the three things that most sites should really pay close attention to IMO.

Dave Knauss said:
    PS to the last message: How much do people want challanges? So much so that they'll allow themselves to be cornered by one! What do I mean? Ever have someone give you a NO to an answer when you in your heart knew they should have said YES? Ever have someone give you an opinion or conclusion that didn't line up with Scripture and the Holy Spirit raised a red flag inside you? Want to know how to respond, instead of react? Just ask, "May I challenge you on that?" With this question, there is only one of two possible responses you can get back, YES or NO. If the person says "YES," you have their permission to say virtually anything. If they are thinking NO, they'll probably not say it aloud. To date, I've never had a person say "NO." Why? Because they don't psychologically want to appear so absolutely closed-minded not to consider a differing opinion. If you're a sales person, just try this challenge question on your next NO. I'm a teacher and it's worked for 35 years on administration, students, and parents.
This reply was deleted.