Creating a Learning Network for Community Builders!
* A good non-stick fry pan. They are cheap at Walmart if you need a new one. Toss the old one
* Rice cooker $20
* Nutritional Yeast (Red Star is a good brand). This is a great staple to have on hand. I got it at Wegman's in the health section. If you have a Fresh Food store, it may be there in bulk cheaper than Walmart. It was about $4.50 for 5 oz. It substitutes for cheese and tastes GREAT + is loaded with vitamins, esp. B which you will need to add to your diet if you are not eating much meat
* Expand your variety of no-fat salad dressing. Salads are an important part of your diet - dressings create variety. I like Olde Cape Cod Toasted Sesame Soy and Ginger Fat Free dressing. It is slightly sweet and tangy. Can be used for basting.
* Yves Veggie Cuisine Meatless Ground. 12 oz = 1 lb of hamburger. THIS IS GREAT STUFF! I got it in Walmart near where they have prepared Salad Mixes. They have no-milk cheese. This is there in a small square box, just open and heat. I'd get 3-4 boxes to have on hand for cooking, lunches and Quick Meals
* 4- 6 lbs of brown rice. This is a staple and you want to have it on hand
* 1 or two cans of the different beans - you will use on your salads for lunch
* Large package of frozen corn. Put in a Tupper-ware type container in freezer so it is handy for lunches
* Corn Tortillas - NO FAT variety
Prepare on weekends!
* I would make at least 2 batches of Bean Spread. This will last all week in the fridge. Use for lunch + use it for Veggies and Dip and use it for Stuffed Corn Tortillas
* Eating lunch at home? I'd suggest when you are up and around put on a pot of rice. If you are having rice for dinner I'd make 1.5 cups rice + 3 cups water and 1.5 tsp salt. If you are not having rice for dinner, I'd make 1 cup rice + 2 cups water + 1 tsp. salt. When it's done, just unplug. It is good room temp. or you can heat if you prefer. I just leave it in the cooker all day and often eat for breakfast the next day w/o putting in the fridge. I don't like the texture of rice after it gets cold.
* Consider this: chop veggies, I'd chop some on the weekend and maybe chop some more mid week. You can then toss a salad together quickly if this is done.