Aging Parents.

Stopped at the parents so Dad could perform routine maintenance on my old car,affectionately labled "the beast".  He also confirmed diagnosis and needed repair of a more difficult problem.  Dad doesn't admit it but this keeps him young and feeling useful. 

It turned out to be God timing because it was beyond time to walk mom.   She's no beast but was much improved after walk and talk.  Mom seems more easily frustrated by stuff and less to deal with it as she ages.  This time it was health issues. 

Then there's  those weird moments when I find myself setting boundaries or parenting the parent.     

The house has been built roughly forty years.  They are just now completeing unfinished details while upgrading and repairing the ravages of time.  I am grateful that they can still do these things themselves.  The logistics of location and design will make this place a bear if either of them becomes disabled.  

Without getting to personal, what problems have you encountered with your aging parents?  How have you deal with them? 

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My parents died when they were young... Mom in her 50's and Dad early 60s. It is hard to age... I think it is one thing that keeps us focused on the fact that this life is temporary!
  • Bless you for bringing this "heated" topic to the minds of all.
    My parents, both retired, one disabled, the other, healthy . Thank God for both! Even on the days I want to scream. Hee hee . I find myself "mothering" at times I suppose. The most recent issues are explaining the internet stuff. WOW , that will teach patience! If our parents are not "net literate" or pc savy, it makes it quite hard to begin at the ABC level and catch them up to speed with the rest of today's fast moving technology. I am showing them both a lot of "hands on" and "how to's "....with the little I know. If there's conflict, I find that I often use their own words, that they taught me. Usually, what the scripture says. Scripture says to "Honor thy father and mother" .....this is more than just listening as a child....we are to take care of THEM as we grow into adulthood...not put them in a nursing home ,never to be visited! Love them,care for them, be a witness, it will encourage them that their "parenting efforts" weren't in vain. Be Blessed , Laura
This reply was deleted.