How did God start your ministry?

One of the most powerful things we can do to encourage ourselves and others in the Lord is to simply recall how God started our ministries. This brings such wonderful perspective and sets our hearts on God. I never get tired of telling others how God started Kingdom Tapes, CDs, and Electronics, where I am priveleged to work. Can I share the story with you? Johnny Berguson has a wonderful gift for training horses to do special tricks. He and his dear wife (Juanita) along with Rachael and Jonathan (their two precious, small children), and Sheik (their amazing Arabian horse) traveled all around the country performing for crowds as small as 14, and as large as 30,000. They went to small, rural churches, as well as to events as large as the U.S. Arabian National Championship Horse Show. They always shared an evangelistic message after the performance. Suddenly, in just one week's time, their entire itinerary collapsed. Their schedule for the rest of the year was empty. Johnny and Juanita were devastated and confused. For all their praying, Johnny could only think of the Scripture, "If any one will not work, neither shall he eat." (2 Thess. 3:10) So every day he looked for work, but found nothing. Then another Scripture, "In all labor there is profit," (Prov. 14:23) gave him an idea. "In training Sheik," Johnny went on, "I had applied Biblical principles for raising children, and it worked! So I decided I would record and distribute audio cassettes on horse training." He wasted no time getting started. The Bergusons borrowed five hundred dollars and created a 14-cassette series with Johnny's horse training lessons. His testimony and Gospel message were still included, this time on a free cassette. The "horse course" began selling well and many were saved through it. An opportunity came for Johnny to advertize the horse course on postcards that would be mailed to homes. Johnny had to chose something to put on the back of the cards. Thinking that he could help pastors by getting them blank tapes at a cheaper price then they could purchase anywhere else, he decided to offer blank tapes for churches on the back side of the postcards. But the company that printed the postcards made a "divine mistake." They switched the front and the back of the postcards. Soon, many churches called for blank tapes. Then they needed equipment and other supplies. And in the basement of a simple ranch home in rural Pennsylvania, Kingdom was born! Johnny and Juanita had a heart to help people in their local area who needed jobs. In those beginning days, they hired a few people and told them, "We are not sure how long we can help you, but as long as God supplies, you have a place to work here." That was over twenty five years ago. Two of those individuals still work here. Today, Kingdom is one of the largest suppliers of blank media, digital media, and electronic equipment in the country. Everyday you can see the roots of this company: a couple who serve God, their desire to help pastors, and their heart to help people who need jobs. I am so blessed to work in a place where I can be free to be who I am in Christ. How did God start your ministry? Where are you today?

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am not exactly sure how "ministry" is defined...but the things that others refer to as my "ministry" often began with things that I would like to see happen or things that I noticed were not happening...as these things pressed upon me..I would say Lord why isn't someone doing this...His response why aren't you...I'm not qualified(list the many reasons not qualified)...would try to get others to do it and was told why don't you...it's on your heart.(same lack of qualification dialog)...I know in my head that the Lord doesn' necessarily need me qualified..he needs me available...the things that I do don't require great intellect- they require an outgoing personality someone is very social...that is not me. This will be a lot easier when my eyes are off of me and placed on Jesus (where they need to be)...the Lord placed within my heart one time...you don't take credit when things go well...why do you take the blame when they fail? (this time credit/failure was based on the acceptance/rejection of someone to ministry)
  • Gary, don't forget to e-mail me so you'll be in the drawing!!!!
    Gary Ernsthausen said:
    We like to think that Christ started the ministry and it still goes forth in the same way. Meeting in the home, our lives are the temple, voluntiers give their lives freely, Gospel is preached all over the world in this way.
  • We like to think that Christ started the ministry and it still goes forth in the same way. Meeting in the home, our lives are the temple, voluntiers give their lives freely, Gospel is preached all over the world in this way.
  • Katie! How sweet to tell Johnny's and my story. Thank you! It is all GOD and what he has done!
This reply was deleted.