I was recently in a conversation on the Harlem shake.

The point of the person who started the conversation was this...

"Any pastor who allows this in the church under his spiritual care, without exception, is a cowardly hireling. Those who participate in this ungodly, unholy, and fleshly display are nothing short of demon-possessed."

I challenged how he was relating to other believers, my point was to not talk about the issue unless/until we could agree on how believers should talk to each other.  If you want to weigh in on that discussion... go here: https://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/when-christian-attacks-christian

For this discussion...

When is it right and when is it wrong to speak to the culture using it's language?

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mike..

Thanks for your comment.   I agree.  

I think we need to speak to culture with the voice they hear.  Yes, of course we shouldn't do things that are downright crude.   But, John Westley wrote many songs that were put to the contemporary tunes sung in the bars.   He spoke in the cultural language people understood.  

MikeMcMillan said:

So, I have read all of this and I would just like to say. The devil uses all forces to influence the people of the world. It is important that God's people can fight as hard against the wicked of the world. The Harlem Shake is like, Elvis Shaking his hips in the 50 and 60 rock music in the 70, hair metal in the 80's etc. It is a part of the culture. THE CHURCH needs to tread careful but how do you expect to reach the lost by doing things that have not worked for 50 years? We have put on the armor of God and fight the battle if that means embracing a cultural trend so be it. We are to live in the world NOT of the world. I mean there is over 10 Million harlem shake videos and YE S some are over the top and downright crude however there are families doing, and kids, and teachers and yes CHURCHES!!

I just think Christians need to remember when casting stones at other Christians(or anyone in general)  that they better be a pure as Jesus. JUST SAYING  

• Ginger,

Thanks for your thoughts.   I agree, you cannot really talk to someone when they take that attitude...

Ginger Haan said:

I read that conversation last week. Unfortunately, the man who talked in such a rude way will not win souls to Christ. He has an attitude problem which borders on a critical spirit. His 'holier-than-thou' demeanor shown through brightly and cancels out any rhetoric he may use beyond that. When that shows up, it is best to do as you did - simply stop the conversation. Unless he allows the Holy Spirit to deal with his underlying wrong attitudes, he'll stunt his spiritual growth and harm many others as well. 

• I read that conversation last week. Unfortunately, the man who talked in such a rude way will not win souls to Christ. He has an attitude problem which borders on a critical spirit. His 'holier-than-thou' demeanor shown through brightly and cancels out any rhetoric he may use beyond that. When that shows up, it is best to do as you did - simply stop the conversation. Unless he allows the Holy Spirit to deal with his underlying wrong attitudes, he'll stunt his spiritual growth and harm many others as well. 

•  Very well stated.

MikeMcMillan said:

So, I have read all of this and I would just like to say. The devil uses all forces to influence the people of the world. It is important that God's people can fight as hard against the wicked of the world. The Harlem Shake is like, Elvis Shaking his hips in the 50 and 60 rock music in the 70, hair metal in the 80's etc. It is a part of the culture. THE CHURCH needs to tread careful but how do you expect to reach the lost by doing things that have not worked for 50 years? We have put on the armor of God and fight the battle if that means embracing a cultural trend so be it. We are to live in the world NOT of the world. I mean there is over 10 Million harlem shake videos and YE S some are over the top and downright crude however there are families doing, and kids, and teachers and yes CHURCHES!!

I just think Christians need to remember when casting stones at other Christians(or anyone in general)  that they better be a pure as Jesus. JUST SAYING  

• So, I have read all of this and I would just like to say. The devil uses all forces to influence the people of the world. It is important that God's people can fight as hard against the wicked of the world. The Harlem Shake is like, Elvis Shaking his hips in the 50 and 60 rock music in the 70, hair metal in the 80's etc. It is a part of the culture. THE CHURCH needs to tread careful but how do you expect to reach the lost by doing things that have not worked for 50 years? We have put on the armor of God and fight the battle if that means embracing a cultural trend so be it. We are to live in the world NOT of the world. I mean there is over 10 Million harlem shake videos and YE S some are over the top and downright crude however there are families doing, and kids, and teachers and yes CHURCHES!!

•  WOW,  It is never wrong to speak to a culture using it's language. If you want them to understand what your saying useing their native  language should be the first  language you use. They will understand it best. Only thing you need to make sure you know that culture use of their  language. The same words in different cultures can have very different meanings.

Whats really strange is most Americans do not know hebrew or greek and rely on a bible translated by people that did not have a full understand of the culture/ language when they made bible translation to english.. KJV translation  errors are many.

This reply was deleted.