KingdomInsight

Creating a Learning Network for Kingdom Builders!

Life-with or w/o God, does it matter? A Christian: Athiest Discussion. Would you like to listen?

You may or may not know, but I like to preach to atheists on twitter.   When I read their posts, I find a common theme

We're just as 'good' as people who are Christians

We have morals

We have standards

We live fulfilling lives.

So, I thought it might be interesting to have some discussions on this.

I am arranging for 3 Christians and 3 atheists to meet once a week to talk about our lives - with or whithout God as the case may be.   These will be non-confrontational talks..  To compare.  To talk.  To encounter each other.

If you want to keep posted on the schedule, simple post on this discussion.  I will be posting the time and dates of the discussion.  It will be web-cast so you can listen either live or a recorded version.

Thanks for your interest!

For tweeting:  http://www.bit.ly/9OhcCo

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if you saw above, but I could relate to you an incident that occurred just recently with one of my friend that shows that some people think sex with animals is OK. So - the nature of my question would be more to standards than specifics - if there is no law - how can you tell these people it is not ok. Maybe that would be a better way to frame the question...

If there is no absolute law - how can you tell people who think beastiality is OK that it is wrong?

Note. I am not planning on discussing the question on this thread, btw, it would be a little anticlimaxitical to the show.

Angie the Anti-Theist said:
It's the implication that you seem to equate bestiality (between a person and a non-person) with homosexuality (between two consenting persons) that offends me, Juanita. I can't speak for Jim, but from what I know of him, I'd guess this is why he was offended as well.

Juanita said:
Jim and Angie,

I am surprised at your response regarding the question about bestiality.

How do I know what you think about this? Some people think it is OK. Could launch into a story to illustrate, but I will spare you that.

And, if I don't know - wouldn't you be happy to have an opportunity to help the rest on the panel and the audience understand that that this is not something that you would think was a good thing? If it offends you to ask the question, I don't have a problem with dropping it.
For question #3, would you prefer this wording:

3. Do you believe that lives should have 'a center'? Why? Why not? What should it be?

Question 3 suggests your belief that having god at the center actually does some good. This is the kind of bias we mentioned last week.
Jim

They are just questions that form the foundation for a discussion. :) I personally can take just about any question and use it to illustrate Christianity.

Atheists are the ones who deny marriage is one man and one woman for life. Since they deny the traditional limit, where is the new limit and how is that limit justified? I think it is a valid question.
I wasn't part of the debate; however, I did call in and listen to you to hear what you had to say. I guess I am part of the debate indirectly; however, Juanita question just appears reasonable from a Christian perspective. I personally have no idea how you limit sexual conduct once you go beyond the traditional limit. I would enjoy listening and hearing what you have to say...
I thought it was open to anyone interested in the debate, who are not necessarily taking part...

Jim Gardner said:
I was under the impression this thread was only open to people who are taking part in the debate?
zdenny and others. When the speakers are discussing the debate on this thread, it would be helpful if you don't clarify our responses to each other. It is my goal that on this thread we do prep work for a better discussion.

You MAY have ideas to improve the discussion. As long as they are not PERSONAL in nature (i.e. This would NOT be a good contribution: Sam, your responses are so poorly thought out, no one can follow you.) However, ideas to improve the discussion can be posted.
Francis, in this regard, you are right, it is an open thread.

Thanks for your support by contributing and listening to the show!
I am splitting some of the posts out of this discussion. This is not a debate thread. If you want to pursue discussion on the topic of Sex: feel free to post on this thread, it is an unmoderated discussion.

http://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/views-on-sex
Link for the 2 of 6 discussions; Life #atheist #Christian Dialog on blogtalkradio.com

http://www.bit.ly/a7qXWY
What should Christians do to facilitate better dialog with atheists? What do Christians do to alienate you? (then Christians respond to their views)- i like this
this is NOT your show..this is juanita's show...if you want your own show...go make one......the format is each side gets 3-5 questions...we present the list of possible questions in advance.....like well list 7 or so questions We choose..then well select 3 questions...you do the same......

My top 5 (recognizing we'll probably only get to 3 or so) would be 1, 2, 4, 5, and 11

Okay well it's the day of the discussion, less than 4 hours out and I still have no idea what of these questions we'll be asked (kinda like last week.) So I'm going to list each of the questions I saw proposed by the discussants here, and we can vote for the final set or we can just have a less rigid format. Does this sound acceptable to everyone involved? I've typed these in order of appearance.

1) Are ethics and morals learned or innate? Explain
2) Should children be taught "creation science" or "intelligent design" in school? Why, why not, & (for Christians) how do you feel about other Christians who disagree or their arguments?
3) Do you think confirmation bias and pattern seeking traits in the human brain contribute to people holding religious beliefs or other religious beliefs (meaning non-Christian believers)?
4) Was Jesus a liberal or conservative, as presented in the Bible? Explain
5) What does being a moral example in the world mean to you?
6) What do you see as benefits of living a Christian vs. secular life (or secular vs. Christian life)?
7) Apart from belief in god (or lack) What brings most fulfillment to your life and why?
8) (For atheists) Why do you think Christians have it all wrong?
9) (For Christians) Why do you think non-Christians (atheists & other believers) have it all wrong?
10) (For atheists) What could Christians do to facilitate better dialogue? What do Christians do to alienate you? (Then Christians can respond)
11) How can non-believers and believers work together to encourage critical thinking?
12) What, to you, would be credible evidence to change your views on the existence/non-existence of Yahweh?
13) What are your views on homosexuality, fornication, adultery and bestiality?
14) How do you feel about the statement "God should be the center of your life; when he is, all other things fall into balance?"
15) How do you feel about honesty, cheating, etc? How do you behave when no one is watching?
16) Do you believe lives should have a "center"? Why or why not?

Some of these are slightly reworded and some are combined as there were some that appeared very similar. Please cast your votes and make any edit suggestions to wording now. Let's all have these locked down as soon as possible, please! (And remember, some of these could easily be used for next week's conversation.)
this is the show's format....as stated

Jim Gardner said:
Actually, Freedomist, this was a proposal originally suggested by myself and some other regular contributors to my blog. It was Juanita who took it upon herself to arrange things, which I was happy to let her do for fear that if "the atheist" had arranged it, it might appear to be biased. So you can imagine my disappointment that last weeks show was as skewed towards Christianity as it was, as opposed to the neutral debate I had orientally agreed to be part of. That is why we're hammering out a more honest format for this week's show.
I hope that clears up some misconceptions for you, or maybe you'd prefer it if we just talked about what you believe, despite compelling evidence to show you're wrong?
Here are the questions from the Christian team.

1. What should Christians do to facilitate better dialog with atheists? What do Christians do to alienate you? (then Christians respond with their views) (Reverse question for atheists.)

2. Beastiality. If there is no absolute law - how can you tell people who think beastiality is OK that it is wrong?

Potential question (if we have an over abundance of time)
3. Last week all panel speakers said that they were for the good of humanity. How do you live that out?

Feel free to post the final questions for the #atheist team.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

James Bartlett posted a status
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxdsVZ6VLsk This is my 1st attempt at doing a teaching on Youtube"
Jun 1, 2021
Juanita added a discussion to the group March to Honor
Aug 19, 2020
Juanita posted a group
Aug 19, 2020
Profile IconAlexandria, Kacee Holmes, Trish and 2 more joined KingdomInsight
Aug 19, 2020
Juanita and Pascal Musore are now friends
Jul 13, 2019
Pascal Musore posted a status
"Lets change our world"
Jul 4, 2019
"Prayer that you have made acquaintances with the project, for more information or questions, write to me I am at your disposal"
Jul 4, 2019
"electricity in Africa and around the world, we already have several projects that are in progress, we lack some support from you"
Jul 4, 2019
"People from around the world, I come to you to talk about my humanitarian association which aims to fight against famines, no drinking water"
Jul 4, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke replied to Juanita's discussion Chapter 3. Not my job. in the group 2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication
"What a thought provoking chapter! Interesting that change is only possible if there is hope; Yes I…"
Jun 20, 2019
James Bartlett joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

Prayer. Learning to be Intentional.

This is a Call to Prayer!When God intends to move, He calls us to prayer.  He is calling.  Let's be…See More
Jun 18, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication

People are confused.   We know how to 'do church'.  Church happens every Sunday morning.   How do…See More
Jun 16, 2019
Michael is now a member of KingdomInsight
Jun 15, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke and Juanita are now friends
Jun 14, 2019
James Bartlett replied to Juanita's discussion Preface - The Seed 2019 Pre-Launch in the group 2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication
"A "Church" House, Building, Temple, etc. is the House of the Lord, it is a place we come…"
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett liked Juanita's discussion Preface - The Seed 2019 Pre-Launch
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

People are confused.   We know how to 'do church'.  Church happens every Sunday morning.   How do…See More
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett and Robert H Patrick are now friends
Jun 11, 2019
Profile IconGinny Reid Radtke, James Pollard, Tom Christensen and 2 more joined KingdomInsight
Jun 8, 2019
Juanita's group was featured
Thumbnail

Jun 8, 2019

© 2022   Created by Juanita.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service