Morals vs. Policies

From the time we were little we have had an idea of what we wanted to be when we grew up. For some that idea has stayed about the same and for others it has changed lots and lots of times. When I was young I wanted to be a vet. I wanted to help out all of God's furry creatures. My plans have changed since then ( as many people's do) and now I am going to college to study Human Resources. This is a very necessary field but the conflict of morals and policies comes into play a lot. I have always believed that no matter what, I will not do anything against my morals just to better my career. Lately I have realized that with some of the situations we have discussed in class, the proper thing to do, does not always fit into what I would consider a good moral decision. How far would you go to keep your job? Would you adjust your morals or do you stand strong for what you believe is right? Does that mean that you are unwilling to change your morals at all?

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Tiffany,

This is a tough one. Your going into Human Resources will be a hard one for a strong moraled Christian. I don't believe it is a good choice. Are you going to be able to help a lesbian co-worker  who is being herrassed by a Christian? Wal-mart Just won in  federal appeals court for firing a person for telling another she would go to Hell because God does not accept gays, and the dismissal was not religious discrimination, the court has ruled.

It make as much sence for a person of strong Christian morals to work in Human Resources at a large company as it would for me with a  strong believe in evolution to get a job at that Creation museum in Kentucky. It's not a good fit at all.

• I think that ethics/morals should not be up for compromise.

IMO, that is what is wrong with our nation...   people do what they want and call it right.

• Well lets see what happpened to me in this respect, kept getting fired because of convictions and I then found I could work for myself and did that every since.
  • Your in HR. Best bet is for you to find another field to work.In HR one must deal with other peoples religions and the conscience that comes with it.

HR professionals have to do what the company wants not what a person of one faith believes is right. What if a Muslim came into your office to file a complant, saying that Christians were bugging him/her into changing faiths?
  • I think that is an issue each person needs to (individually) work out with God. God can use us in any situation. We are on this earth to lead souls to Christ. God can use us in an unsavory work environment to reach (even one person) for him. Go to your father in heaven, and listen for his answer.
  • From God's perspective our morals(righteousness) is like filthy rags(menstrual cloth). This teaching is common in Christian circles, but to really understand it deep inside you, is a very difficult lesson to learn for a Christian. It is from that vantage point that Christ forms us into His image(character). So we can be in a very secular setting where God is working in us to will and to act according to His purpose, but a secular college or career will never transform us into spiritual beings, God will use these things for His own purposes. People who are not saved depend on these things to develope their own morality, but our morality comes from God. This is why you have principled atheists, that do have morals, but they are self righteous. How far do you go to keep your job? As far as God wants you to go. Having integrity is the important thing, Daniel had a great deal of integrity as he saw kings come and go. Think about what it says in the 75th psalm: "No one from the east, west or south can exalt a man, but it is God who judges, He lifts one up and He brings another down."
  • Hi Tiffany,

If the present moral position is based in the absolute value or principle from God's Word the best thign to do is change the approach to the policy.

The policy must adapt to the moral absolute. Anything else would be duplicous.

As far as the application to a vocation, it is my belief that we are to be a light in the conflicting policy situations by which God may inded inititiate change to that polocy thru us or (and sometimes this is the better outcome) lead you to begin your own company based on better policies and principles that unashamedly reflect the absolute moral values of the Kingdon of God.

Seeking first the kingdom is the better way to have all these things added unto you. You seek, He's adding, sweet!

Hope this is helpful. Michael
  • Up to this point you have been given some great advise concerning this matter. I agree with almost everything that the other have told you. I do not want to just give my opinion (while the opinions expressed eariler are Biblical), I want to prove what I am saying with listing the Bible passages where I have based my opinion, and have experienced severaltimes myself. These passages have never failed to steer me in the right direction everytime.

1st of all, in anything that we do, we need to ask God for His Leadership and Blessing. That includes find a job that is right for you, in doing this we avoid a lot of future problems that may arise as you are speaking of.

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil. 8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
    Prov 3:5-8 (KJV)

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.
    Psalms 37:23 (KJV)

Pray without ceasing.
    1 Thess 5:17 (KJV)

And Hezekiah received the letter of the hand of the messengers, and read it: and Hezekiah went up into the house of the Lord, and spread it before the Lord.
    2 Kings 19:14 (KJV) - Read this chapter, the king wanted to know what God wanted him to do, so he presented the situation to the Lord. We know that God already knew what the letter said, but this shows the willingnes to let God lead, in seeking His direction in the matter. A very valuable lesson, indeed.

The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.
    Psalms 34:15 (KJV)

For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
    1 Peter 3:12 (KJV)

2nd when God closes one door, He will always open another. More often it is a much better situation than you just left/got done dealing with.

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
    1 Cor 10:13 (KJV)

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
    Matt 6:33 (KJV)

I do not pretend to have all the answers, but I pray that this does help you in this matter. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone, that was not my intention, at all.
  • Dear Sis. Tiffany, God our heavenly Father is always watching. I like what John the Apostle says in 1John 3:22: ...and whatsoever we ask we receive of Him because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. Amen. Ihad a job once where I was responsible for some very valuable equipment for the entire company. My immediate supervisor however, who was not a believer in Christ, insisted that I compromise security on behalf of someone with she was "romantically" involved. She said to me, Kenneth, Iam your supervisor and I say that it is okay. Yet I knew the risk and that it was entirely possible that this man was in fact stealing or attempting to steal from the company the merchandise that I was to protect. I refused to comply with her request and of course I was promptly rewarded with termination. On the way home I rejoiced because the day before on the way home I was told by the Holy Spirit that they(she) was daring me to do what was right. I am so glad that I had the guts to do so. How far do you go? How about 1John 3:22?
  • If a job repeatedly requires me to do something that is against what I believe and what the Bible says, then I would find a new job. I have done this in the fast, and I have friends who have done this. I would never compromise my morals for a job - no matter the pay or benefits.

With that said, can you give us an example where a 'right' HR decision would violate a Christian's morals? I'm having difficulty thinking of such a situation.
This reply was deleted.