Watch your tongue!

2 Cor 12:20-21 For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged. Rom 1:29-30 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, I once heard a radio skit that was about the passing on of a prayer request. By the time it got to the last person the poor husband who had been downsized was being gossiped about as if he were a lazy bum. It doesn’t matter if it’s a prayer request or an “innocent” conversation; we need to watch what we say. Any time our talk puts down another person in any way we are gossips, plain and simple. The other matter is that sometimes we tell things that have been shared with us in confidence. We live in an age where endless information is all over the place. Just take a look at Twitter or Facebook and you will see things from “I’m brushing my teeth” all the way to “I wrecked my car today”. Info told by the person is one thing, but usually it is not OK for us to share it. Jesus had the perfect answer to all this when He said, “in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” (Matt 7:12) Before you and I talk about some tid-bit, we should consider if this were about me would I want everyone to know it? Remember the pain you felt when some hurtful event became the topic of conversation around the area for months? So we should watch our tongues lest others have that same “WONDERFUL” experience. Proverbs 12:23 (The Message) says, “Prudent people don’t flaunt their knowledge; talkative fools broadcast their silliness”. Let us be prudent.

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a really good post. I agree with you. We need to watch our tongues, sometimes we don't realize just how hurtful our words can be. Think how good a compliment feels, and in contrast how bad it feels when someone says something bad about you. That's how bad the other person feels when you gossip about them, if not worse. I also think actions go along with words, so if you're prone to gossip, maybe you should try distancing yourself from those people/situations that get you into the gossip trap :-)

Whenever I hear my name being tossed around, I think to myself "Wow, I didn't know I was so important that people had to be talking about me all the time." LOL!
  • God loves you more! keep it real and simple

John Wieder_for_Congress_TX-22 said:
    So what does a Christian politition say to gay person, or a girl that is going to kill her unborn child?

• I know what you are saying since we recieve Christ by hearing likewise we recieve the enemies ability to go off course by speaking not what we hear christ speaking. I think that is why the scriptures exhort us to think on what ever is good whatever is noble whatever is lovely. I tried speaking this outloud to myself whenever I was tempted to say what I thought rather than what Jesus would express and it seems to work, of course the times I didnt my tounge was like poison. This is a daily lesson we need to practice untill we really get it constantly flowing. ps my typing not the best.
  • I once read that Abraham Lincoln said, "Nothing that is morally wrong can ever be politically correct." The Christian politician must adhere to what is morally correct. The girl contemplating abortion must be made to know that God loves her and her baby and that abortion is murder period. All this has to be presented to her in as kind and loving way as possible including that God will forgive her even if she does abort the baby when she decides she needs it. The same hold for the homosexual. they are living in sin yes, but so is the heterosexual couple living together outside of wedlock. As a politician you have a greater opportunity to stand for truth, and morality. Sin is sin and there is nor will there ever be a way to justify it morally or legally. Man may try, but God is the Same forever and His opinion is all that matters.

John Wieder_for_Congress_TX-22 said:
    So what does a Christian politition say to gay person, or a girl that is going to kill her unborn child?

• So what does a Christian politition say to gay person, or a girl that is going to kill her unborn child?

• I like what Joyce Meyer says about this. If we are upset or feel we need to vent something, we should take it to the throne instead of the phone. I agree with you we need to put ourselves in their shoes before we let our words get away from us. Slow to anger, slow to speak, and quick to listen. This would be wonderful goal for us for the New Year. We must remember building people up makes them want to even do better. We must always walk in love!
  • This is a good word, I commend you for this. As we enter into the New Year, here are some things that need to be left behind as we rededicate ourselves to his call and commission in our lives: all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, laziness, a desire for the fleshly sins of the past which war against the soul, as free, and yet using our liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, as sheep going astray. As gossips speaking evil of Pastors and others. The list is long and wide and one can write a book on just the list of things to leave behind. Let's focus however, after repentance on the perspective that G-d prefers toward his children

Now, let’s consider this perspective so that we have a foundation that is sure for our goals. As people that rededicate themselves as newborn babes, let us desire the sincere milk of the word, that we may grow thereby:
    If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. Pray to have the revelation necessary to know that we are coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of G-d, and precious, Let us begin to see ourselves also, as lively stones, that are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to G-d by Jesus Christ.
    Wherefore also let us understand that all this is contained in the scripture, and G-d has said, "Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded."
    Thus, G-d says we should enter this New Year as people that are not in confusion or easily confounded by the evil workings of the Devil. But seeing ourselves with G-d's eyes as a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that we should show forth the praises of him who hath called us out of darkness into his marvelous light: May we clearly know and understand that in time past we were not a people, but are NOW the people of G-d: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
    Again, with all these things in view let us begin this New Year having our conversation honest among all that, whereas they speak against us as evildoers, they may by our good works, which they shall behold, glorify G-d in the day of visitation.

May we walk in the grace given to us through Jesus our Lord, to see the miracles we long to see not only in our lives, but also in the lives of those we encounter each day.

I so desire for you, me, us, we to manifest his great love and glory in our lives even as you have stated above that the world may know and see that G-d is still on the throne, the Devil is still a liar, Jesus has been victorious and the church is his body.

May everyone have a great and peaceful new year’s day and year.

Pastor Homer
  • Ernie - Great advice - maybe to consider for goals for the the New Year!
This reply was deleted.