In today’s day and age, everyone and their dog (literally) have a social media account of some sort. Twitter being one of the most widely used social media venue is one of many social media outlets that people use on a daily basis.

From sharing what people are reading online, to what they are doing in their lives – Twitter forms a bond outside of regular social interactions – it really allows people to get to know the ‘inside story’ of what people like and do not like. Getting to ‘peek’ into celebrities’ lives is something that Twitter is most popular for. Following businesses in hopes of scoring something for free on their next give away. It is really a place of interaction and bonding like we’ve never seen before online.

Being a young Christian leader and (future full time) minister as well as a social media addict has really opened my eyes as to how we as a body need to be able to see into our leadership’s lives, not in a creepy way, but in a way that is healthy, and good. Being able to share with my life-group guys what I am reading scripture that day, as well as posting pictures of my daily goings-on has really shown my friends, blog readers, and acquaintances what I am like when I am not with them. What I am up to, how I am spreading the fame of Christ even when I am not around them.

SPONSOR- Article continues after AD____________________________

Back to Article___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think that we as a body need to harness the power of social media, especially Twitter. Being able to offer your church an ‘inside look’ to your life with your family – and being able to show your flock how you are living out the messages we so often tell others to follow, but so rarely do ourselves.

Now – all of this is fine and good, as long as we are smart as to what we are posting. We need to be wise, and use ALL THINGS that the Lord has given us to bring honor and glory to His name. We must watch what we post – not in a weird way – in order to bring the Lord glory in all our outlets. Being vulnerable and real is a good thing, but some things just shouldn’t be tweeted. I will leave this definition up to your own imagination.

Many pastors have already jumped on-board with this concept of harnessing social media to the good of their body. Mark Driscoll, John Piper, Frances Chan, and Matt Chandler (just to name a few) are frequent tweeters, and are awesome guys to follow. These guys use Twitter in a really great way, showing us that they are really living out the Gospel, and not just preaching it.

So, all this being said…Will you make a Twitter today? I hope you will – it really is a good thing. My warning is this: Be careful who you follow – there is some junk out there…but as long as you are cautious as to who you follow-back, you will be fine!

Lets redeem this social media outlet for the glory of Christ!
What are you waiting for? Lets make this happen!

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.