WHAT WAS THE APOSTLES’ DOCTRINE?

What was the Apostles Doctrine?

Let’s listen in on a conversation Paul the Aposlte had with some Athenian wise guys when they asked him what his doctrine was. Now, pay attention, because Paul could have answered this any way he chose, but when asked explicitly what his doctrine was, observe how he describes it:

19And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?

20For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.

21(For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)

22Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

24God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

25Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

26And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

32And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33So Paul departed from among them.

34Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

Basically, God is over all, He created all things, He rules, He has made all People “one blood” and He has determined the size, location, and span of time a nation will exist so that nations would serve Him, you must repent of your sins, Jesus was resurrected and one day the whole world will be judged so that those who believe in the resurrection will be saved.

The writer of Hebrews (Hebrews 6:2) wraps this up nicely and says, “Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.”

The Kingdom of God is not a place as much as it is an activity!

While men look for the Kingdom in what we may see as its results, as when God gives His blessing to a Nation or blesses an individual, everything about the Kingdom points to works, things we do, and not just things you do alone, things you do in your heart and in your family, in a Household of Faith, and all the way to the level of NATIONS!

See ALL five parts of this series

Part 1 WHAT IS THE KINGDOM

https://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/the-kingdom-as-an-ing-word

Part 2 HOW IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD MANIFESTED

https://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/the-kingdom-as-an-ing-word-1

Part 3 WHAT DO WE DO IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD

https://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/the-kingdom-as-an-ing-word-2

Part 4 WHAT WAS THE APOSTLES’ DOCTRINE

https://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/the-kingdom-as-an-ing-word-3

Part 5 THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND THE HOUSEHOLDS OF FAITH

https://kingdominsight.ning.com/forum/topics/the-kingdom-as-an-ing-word-4

You need to be a member of KingdomInsight to add comments!

Join KingdomInsight

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Now you're cooking with oil, Lisa!

God Bless,

Bill

Lisa said:
    Having problems follow both Anthony and Bill at times. I think that Bill is merely saying that it is time for the church to be the church. Ie take the time to fellowship with each other and really discuss a scripture. Then go do something together for others. When you go to work and/or deal with government act like a Christian. However don't stop the normal Sunday meeting. Instead maybe use for a jumping off point for the rest of the week. Bill does it across denominational/local church lines. How refreshing it would be to spend time with a favorite challenging teacher who left a church without worrying what others think? A mixed group where all feel welcome and learn would be so handy. I have gotten rather tired of purpose centered groups that take care of the needs of the majority while leaving others out. Why not some of both kinds of groups? Think this could also work within a specific chruch as well as across denominational lines.
  • Having problems follow both Anthony and Bill at times. I think that Bill is merely saying that it is time for the church to be the church. Ie take the time to fellowship with each other and really discuss a scripture. Then go do something together for others. When you go to work and/or deal with government act like a Christian. However don't stop the normal Sunday meeting. Instead maybe use for a jumping off point for the rest of the week. Bill does it across denominational/local church lines. How refreshing it would be to spend time with a favorite challenging teacher who left a church without worrying what others think? A mixed group where all feel welcome and learn would be so handy. I have gotten rather tired of purpose centered groups that take care of the needs of the majority while leaving others out. Why not some of both kinds of groups? Think this could also work within a specific chruch as well as across denominational lines.
  • Bill, i believe that I agree with you 1000%. Christ is not bound by denominations or local churches; therefore, an Apostle, one that is called to plant churches, is not bound to one certain denomination. I am not sure on how to say this without anybody taking offense, but I have visited a couple of "Apostolic Faith" denominational churches, and I feel there is too much legalism wrapped around their beliefs. Why do I say this? Well, for one thing, they do not believe that men should have long hair or beards, women should not have short hair but that it should be neatly put up, and they also do not believe in watching television. The question is, what does that have to do with God's grace and salvation through Christ dying on the cross, and His resurrection? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I knew of someone who would hide his radio and tv in his closet because he did not want to be accused as a sinner. It is crazy, I know. Another thing that I saw, was at one of their street ministries, I saw people running into the streets at people in their cars and telling them that they are going to hell. How would they know? They have no idea if that person is saved or not. Lastly, that denomination believes that anybody who is not "baptized in Jesus' name" and not in the name of the Father, in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit, then they are going to hell. I know what I am talking about because I had been accused as a heretic. If all this is true then why did Christ die for our sins. Why are we told to repent of our sins and ask for God's forgiveness and to live for Christ, if our salvation is depended upon certain words in baptism? I apologize again if I have offended anyone or ruffled feathers but when we are to heed to the teachings of the Apostles, aren't they just teaching what Jesus had taught? Who is our savior? Paul? or Jesus? I believe it is Jesus.
  • How fresh does the annoiting have to be for us To "Love thy Neighbor as thyself"? or "Go into all the world and preach the gospelTeaching them in my name" at whast point do we stop leaving the work for the so called specially annoited and start doing what all of us are called to do???? And I am not saying that some have a gifting for 1 form of ministry but they way I read it all are called all are annoited and sanctified and justified and elected through the blood and Holy Ghost.

F. Anthony DelGrosso, Jr. said:
    Bill...........You devoted your time to foundational apostles' doctrine, which in my opinion, goes without saying. The apostles' teachings that I am referring to are the teachings from the apostles that came as a result of the events of Acts 15. The foundational teachings are very obvious, but the kind of decisions and strategies in which modern day apostles are involved require prayer and discernment that proceeds out of an apostolic anointing. Things like I Chron. 12:32 which involve what The Church "ought to do". This requires that a present day apostolic anointing to prevail in the Church. Eph 2:20,,,,,,,,the foundation of the apostles and the prophets with Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone. Fresh revelation from the apostles and the prophets, without which the Church will never become what She is to be!

Be Blessed...................Anthony DelGrosso
  • Bill...........You devoted your time to foundational apostles' doctrine, which in my opinion, goes without saying. The apostles' teachings that I am referring to are the teachings from the apostles that came as a result of the events of Acts 15. The foundational teachings are very obvious, but the kind of decisions and strategies in which modern day apostles are involved require prayer and discernment that proceeds out of an apostolic anointing. Things like I Chron. 12:32 which involve what The Church "ought to do". This requires that a present day apostolic anointing to prevail in the Church. Eph 2:20,,,,,,,,the foundation of the apostles and the prophets with Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone. Fresh revelation from the apostles and the prophets, without which the Church will never become what She is to be!

Be Blessed...................Anthony DelGrosso
  • For tweeting

They devoted themselves to the Apostles Teaching. What is that? http://bit.ly/9TYVm4
This reply was deleted.