KingdomInsight

Creating a Learning Network for Kingdom Builders!

In discipleship, we learn from others. Sometimes through books. What book really influenced YOU?

We all should be learning through the book The Bible, of course! And then, we also learn from others: their messages and teachings and their life experiences.

What books have really influenced your life?

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course...as you say the Bible jumps to the lead, however, if I were to say just one book that has made the most impact in my life and I have also used this book in ministry to others among other books would actually be a 'novel' and that is Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness" and the sequel to that book. I was very young in my walk with the Lord and I was dealing with a lot of 'darkness' and didn't really know it....this book showed me that there were several dimensions occuring at the same time...one being the angelic and the other being the demonic among the other dimensions and this 'revelation' was a start of a powerful deliverance that was to come soon on the horizon and I would say this was the 'beginning' of what was to be an amazing journey. I have since recommended this book to many, many people among other books.
This Present Darkness - what a great book recommendation ! This book helped me see the ways of the enemy of our soul. It is a very useful tool to see the variety of tools the enemy uses to come against the kingdom of God and how they work to prevent some from entering into a relationship with Jesus. As I read the bible I am becoming more and more aware of the enemies voice...he basically stays on the same topics...did God really say, honor me and I'll give you such and such, God said he'd take care of you-so go ahead jump off the cliff...
This Present Darkness shed some light on the way the enemy works to wreck havoc in lives and more importantly emphasized the power of prayer and faith. Fantastic Book that is still speaking to many.
Watchman On The Wall said:
Of course...as you say the Bible jumps to the lead, however, if I were to say just one book that has made the most impact in my life and I have also used this book in ministry to others among other books would actually be a 'novel' and that is Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness" and the sequel to that book. I was very young in my walk with the Lord and I was dealing with a lot of 'darkness' and didn't really know it....this book showed me that there were several dimensions occuring at the same time...one being the angelic and the other being the demonic among the other dimensions and this 'revelation' was a start of a powerful deliverance that was to come soon on the horizon and I would say this was the 'beginning' of what was to be an amazing journey. I have since recommended this book to many, many people among other books.
Currently reading Oswald Chambers devotional "My Utmost for His Highest". It's amazing how it lines up with the things I have been dealing with. At times it takes the concept that Pastor mentioned briefly one step deeper. Those who enjoy an intelectual approach and don't mind big words may enjoy C.S. Lewis (non-fiction) and A. W. Tozer. I have read a number of books and probably use parts of all of them without realizing it. Unfortunately, most books are read once and then become dust collectors. I have gotten so that I borrow rather than buy books.
Attached is what I have listed as my favorite book. As I mentioned I do not have a favorite book as such. I do enjoy reading for pleasure and edification Joel Osteen's books that run parallel to the Bible.
Just so happens the Bible is my favorite book, because within it's many stories is the greatest story ever told. The King James is my favorite version. However I've discovered another tremendous translation as of late which happens to be as follows.

The New Testament expanded translation of God's Word. by Kenneth S Wuest I suggest the paper back because the pages are easier to turn, and hold into place than the hard bound.
One example of KJV and Wuest's expanded translation. (not a version) Ephesians 3:20

KJV Now unto him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power that works in us.

Wuest translation:Now the One who is able to do beyond all things superabundantly beyond and over and above those things that we are asking for ourselves and considering in the measure of the power which is operative in us.

Now do you see why God's Word, (the Bible) is my favorite. When you read the Bible, within it's pages are miracles. Just speaking the Word to someone brings about many miracles of believing, healing salvation, plus tons more. God through his Spirit brings his Word to your remembrance to speak a word in due season, that in itself is a super natural remembrance. Think about it, there is nothing else as important as studying God's Word or as rewarding on this earth for renewing your mind. God's Word is powerful, I am so grateful to be one that loves my Heavenly Fathers Words in Christ Jesus my Lord, my Savior.
Why don't more people know this and desire God's matchless Word? That is a very sad question!
No other book contains this power, because it is the Living Word of God. If perchance you should read
II. Timiothy 3:17 in the Wuest expanded version you will be amazed and astonished.
Well as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, but you can Salt His Oats. Thirsty?
Attachments:
Hmmm... I'll have to get the book Divine Confrontation. That is one of my gifts - the gift of the 'plumbline' also known as "The Gift of Irratation"!!!
I don't need the get the gift of irritation, I have that already! LOL You did mean irrItation, right?
I'm being silly again. sorry! See I told you I had that gift. Happy would understand.

Love you.
Lynne
Like everyone else says, the Bible as a book has the greatest influence over my life. Other books, however, have played a large part in helping to influence me. I think it's easier to list the authors than the books, or we'd be here all day.

C. S. Lewis
J. R. R. Tolkein
G. K. Chesterton
George MacDonald
Grace Livingston Hill
Charles Stanley
Philip Yancy
L. M. Montgomery
Charles Swindoll
John MacArthur
Billy Graham
Charles Williams
Robin Jones Gunn
The book that has aided my discipleship the most is "Pilgrim's Progress And Christiana's Progress" written by John Bunyan, while sitting in the Bedford Jail in the 1500s. I also count this the best book ever written apart from the Bible itself. The first time I read Progress, there were passages so deep I couldn't understand them at all, so I focused on the story. Nice plot. The second time I read it, I looked up the Scripture references in the margins. Wow, what a revelation of Scripture and profound understanding Bunyan received from the Lord. The third time I read it, I began to see all the ways satan attacks a Christian's life. These ways are true even now--satan hasn't come up with any new ideas--we've just forgotten his old ones. From the viewpoint of how to deal with life's daily attacks and temptations, the book is so contemporary that it seems Bunyan wrote it a few years ago in the 1990s to describe our world right now. The fourth time I read it, I teared on nearly every page over the wonderful love and grace of the Lord, who walked this path before us and continues to walk each of us along the same path. Many precious gold nuggets are in this book. Do you want to know how to answer every kind of objection toward the Gospel? Do you want to know how to deal with every possible kind of temptation and deception? Did you know Jesus gives us two coats of righteousness and how He got them to give? How much of the Holy Spirit do you understand (House of the Interpreter)? Do you know how Faint-Heart demonstrates how much Jesus will never break a bruised reed nor quench a smoking flax? What are the temptations that could happen to Christians at various Christian maturity levels? Did you know Jesus bore all the real pain of the Valley of Death and suffered its death, but we only walk in its harmless shadow?
I read sections from this book to my kids every morning before getting on the school bus throughout their upper elementary, middle school, and high school years. Over the years, we read the book several times. As married adults and well-grounded Christians, they now thank me for teaching them daily how to deal with the world. What about the old-English? No problem, you can either interpret it for yourself and kids, or buy a revised English version. Along with the printed book, I suggest you buy an audio version as well to place on your kids' iPods. It's great to listen to while traveling back and forth on the bus ride.
Besides the Bible now you know what I am going to say right? Boundaries -When to Say Yes, When to Say No To Take Control of Your Life. by Dr. Henry Cloud andDr. John Townsend.
For the past few months, I would have to say The Organic God and Sacred Echoes by Margaret Fienberg.

I am still mulling back over Sacred Echoes as we are currently using it in our Women's Study Group.

The recurring theme of God desiring a very personal relationship with each of us is timely for me and deeply encouraging. I will probably be referring back to these two books and giving them as gifts for years to come.
The book that influenced my life the most was Left Behind. After reading the first book I had to read the entire series. That led me to realize that I was basically a 'cafeteria Christian.' Ever since I have been on a quest to find the truth. I think that I might be in the wrong religion but havn't found the right one yet. Now I worry I am rapidly running out of time.

I am currently reading Atlas Shrugged. 10 years ago it would have been interesting. Today it is down right frightening. I see it coming true right before my eyes. Yesterday and AIG exec went 'John Galt." I think many more productive people will soon.
I just finished several books including books by Thom Rainer -- his books are particularly good in understand what works, doesn't work to build church. I REALLY liked, Surprizing Insights from the Unchuched. What a gem of a book!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

James Bartlett posted a status
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxdsVZ6VLsk This is my 1st attempt at doing a teaching on Youtube"
Jun 1
Juanita added a discussion to the group March to Honor
Aug 19, 2020
Juanita posted a group
Aug 19, 2020
Profile IconAlexandria, Kacee Holmes, Trish and 2 more joined KingdomInsight
Aug 19, 2020
Juanita and Pascal Musore are now friends
Jul 13, 2019
Pascal Musore posted a status
"Lets change our world"
Jul 4, 2019
"Prayer that you have made acquaintances with the project, for more information or questions, write to me I am at your disposal"
Jul 4, 2019
"electricity in Africa and around the world, we already have several projects that are in progress, we lack some support from you"
Jul 4, 2019
"People from around the world, I come to you to talk about my humanitarian association which aims to fight against famines, no drinking water"
Jul 4, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke replied to Juanita's discussion Chapter 3. Not my job. in the group 2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication
"What a thought provoking chapter! Interesting that change is only possible if there is hope; Yes I…"
Jun 20, 2019
James Bartlett joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

Prayer. Learning to be Intentional.

This is a Call to Prayer!When God intends to move, He calls us to prayer.  He is calling.  Let's be…See More
Jun 18, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication

People are confused.   We know how to 'do church'.  Church happens every Sunday morning.   How do…See More
Jun 16, 2019
Michael is now a member of KingdomInsight
Jun 15, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke and Juanita are now friends
Jun 14, 2019
James Bartlett replied to Juanita's discussion Preface - The Seed 2019 Pre-Launch in the group 2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication
"A "Church" House, Building, Temple, etc. is the House of the Lord, it is a place we come…"
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett liked Juanita's discussion Preface - The Seed 2019 Pre-Launch
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

People are confused.   We know how to 'do church'.  Church happens every Sunday morning.   How do…See More
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett and Robert H Patrick are now friends
Jun 11, 2019
Profile IconGinny Reid Radtke, James Pollard, Tom Christensen and 2 more joined KingdomInsight
Jun 8, 2019
Juanita's group was featured
Thumbnail

Jun 8, 2019

© 2021   Created by Juanita.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service