KingdomInsight

Creating a Learning Network for Kingdom Builders!

MUSIC GATEWAY SKILLS. Music has two gateway skills, upon which ALL other music skills are built. After changing my beliefs about “haves” and “have nots,” I learned that all of music is founded on two basic skills, and that no one can DO anything in music without them. One is the ability to sing in tune (match pitches) and the other is performing a steady beat. Upon these skills are built singing, moving, playing, improvising, creating, composing, arranging, and so on. These two gateway skills are absolutely necessary for any participation in music from being a hobbyist to the serious musician, from humming and whistling around the house to playing in a band or orchestra, or even participating in worship in church. These two skills are so critical that WITHOUT them, one is handicapped into being a lifelong music “spectator” rather than a “participator.” Additionally, there is something unique about these two skills—once learned they cannot be UNLEARNED. Even if you have not picked up an instrument in decades, you may have lost some physical dexterity, but you cannot forget how to match pitches or perform a steady beat. Let me say it again, these two skills are the difference between being a music spectator or a participator! When I realized the enormity of this as related to my music teaching, no student ever passed me again without learning how to sing in tune and perform a steady beat. If they did not automatically know how to do them, I learned HOW to help them learn!

SPIRITUAL GATEWAY SKILLS. These two music gateway skills are an important analogy for the Christian church. Ephesians 4:11 speaks of apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor, and teacher. Aside from the ecclesiastical debate on whether or not these exist today as positions, it is without debate that Christians had better be doing these as activities. They are the gateway skills of the church.

(1) Apostolic ministry starts and builds new works, and also develops and restructures, if needed, existing ministries. Either by direct involvement or other means, every Christian needs to support God’s works. (2) A prophet is a communicator of Truth. God reveals His Truth to us and we must pass that on to others. Truth is a plumb line to teachings and activities to test their verity. (3) An evangelist is a messenger of the Gospel. Every believer can share the Good News of what God has done and is doing daily in one’s life. (4) A pastor or shepherd is a caregiver. Every believer can provide care and support for others, saved or unsaved. (5) A teacher breaks down complex Truths into easy-to-understand concepts. Every life situation requires that we teach whoever is placed in our daily living, and be instant with a ready word. I see these five skills as the difference between spiritual spectators or participators. Where these five gateway skills are NOT being taught and practiced in church, I would be willing to bet there is a healthy inactive list instead. (There is NO evidence of an inactive list in the New Testament church.)

In God’s infinite wisdom, I believe there must be amazing sequential reasons for the five activities in the order they are presented. From my viewpoint, I can see deep connections as to why pastoring, shepherding, and caregiving are immediately next to teaching. Each of them are more complete together than when alone.

Pastor, have you realized the importance of every one of your members learning and practicing the five spiritual gateway skills? Do you realize that no church member must ever pass you again without learning them? Are you guiding your people into being spiritually engaged participators, or leaving them in the bondage of lifelong spectators?

Your Belief System and Your Church: (1) Introduction

Your Belief System and Your Church: (2) Your Paradigms

Your Belief System and Your Church: (3) Bondage or Freedom

Your Belief System and Your Church: (4) Gateway Skills

Your Belief System and Your Church: (5) Teacher Accountability

Your Belief System and Your Church: (6) Talking About vs. Doing

Your Belief System and Your Church: (7) Student Accountability

Your Belief System and Your Church: (8) Assessment

Your Belief System and Your Church: (9) Bury Dead Tradition

Your Belief System and Your Church: (10) Teaching vs. Learning

Your Belief System and Your Church: (11) Teachers' Three Phases

Your Belief System and Your Church: (12) Excellence is NOT a Goal

Your Belief System and Your Church: (13) My Teaching Limits Were Their Learning Limits

Your Belief System and Your Church: (14) Unlearning Creates Success

Your Belief System and Your Church: (15) Pioneers vs. Settlers

Your Belief System and Your Church: (16) Real and Lasting Learning

Your Belief System and Your Church: (17) Problems With Memory

Your Belief System and Your Church: (18) Ownership Creates Success

Your Belief System and Your Church: (19) Not Perfect, But Honest

Your Belief System and Your Church: (20) Take Risks and Give Away Control

Your Belief System and Your Church: (21) Out of a Job

Your Belief System and Your Church: (22) KCAASE and Proverbs 24

Your Belief System and Your Church: (23) Responding vs. Reacting

Your Belief System and Your Church: (24) Only When Performed

Your Belief System and Your Church: (25) A Supervisor's Vision

Your Belief System and Your Church: (26) Glimpses Into the Spiritual

Your Belief System and Your Church: (27) One Reason Alone

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To D.:
Good question! I was anticipating someone asking this in particular to singing. The answer to your question is a strong YES, singing in tune is a gateway skill and the ability or inability to do it has GREAT impact on playing in tune. It goes like this. The mastering of singing in tune is internalizing the exactness of pitch and how the pitches relate one after another in a sequence. "In tune-ness" is a combination of mental perception and muscular coordination. When this "inner" hearing is accomplished within the body (internalization of the skill), it is easily transferred outwardly to playing an instrument in tune. You must first "hear" the music inside you before you can produce it. [This is called "audiation" by Edwin Gordon and other music researchers.] After which, the degree of accuracy of playing in tune depends on the strength of the internalization.

Except for a few pre-tuned instruments such as the piano and others like it where a person can get away with not being able to sing in tune, the performer of the instrument controls intonation by both mental perception and physical coordination stemming from the internalization.

Here's another consideration for you since you mentioned the word understanding. There is the cognitive side of music (understanding) and there is the aesthetic (performing and communicating an art form). The understanding of music (i.e. music appreciation) is both heightened and deepened to its ultimate levels when music skills are internalized and performable. Finely developed skills give you a strong "internal" connection to the mental understanding.

Dave, this is such a great series.   I just LOVE what you wrote!   Thanks for sharing!

Hi Juanita. 

Thanks for your compliment.  Understanding this series begins with understanding one's philosophy--check out the second post, called "Your Paradigms."  The longer I live (I'm now 60), the more I realize the profound effects of one's beliefs, both vertically and horizontally.  (I use the words philosophy, beliefs, and paradigms interchangeably.)  For every person in a position of leadership, (s)he NEEDS TO KNOW his/her own beliefs.  Why?  Because your paradigms, in a large manner, dictate the successes or failures of those under or along side your leadership.  EXAMINE YOUR BELIEFS.  Whether you thought them out or not, everyone around you can tell you exactly what they are (positives and negatives).

Want to do something totally revealing?  (And I ask this question of anyone reading this!)  It takes a very transparent and secure person in the Lord to do what I'm about to say.  Take a week and ask all your acquaintances, colleagues, and those you supervise to tell you what they think your paradigms are.  You will hear things that will both affirm you and rock your roots.   Also ask them how your paradigms contribute to their successes or hinder their operations.

In this day and age of great evil, pastors especially need to ask themselves and their members these questions if they intent on having any noticeable impact for the Kingdom of God.

Blessings, Dave

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

James Bartlett posted a status
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxdsVZ6VLsk This is my 1st attempt at doing a teaching on Youtube"
Jun 1
Juanita added a discussion to the group March to Honor
Aug 19, 2020
Juanita posted a group
Aug 19, 2020
Profile IconAlexandria, Kacee Holmes, Trish and 2 more joined KingdomInsight
Aug 19, 2020
Juanita and Pascal Musore are now friends
Jul 13, 2019
Pascal Musore posted a status
"Lets change our world"
Jul 4, 2019
"Prayer that you have made acquaintances with the project, for more information or questions, write to me I am at your disposal"
Jul 4, 2019
"electricity in Africa and around the world, we already have several projects that are in progress, we lack some support from you"
Jul 4, 2019
"People from around the world, I come to you to talk about my humanitarian association which aims to fight against famines, no drinking water"
Jul 4, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke replied to Juanita's discussion Chapter 3. Not my job. in the group 2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication
"What a thought provoking chapter! Interesting that change is only possible if there is hope; Yes I…"
Jun 20, 2019
James Bartlett joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

Prayer. Learning to be Intentional.

This is a Call to Prayer!When God intends to move, He calls us to prayer.  He is calling.  Let's be…See More
Jun 18, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication

People are confused.   We know how to 'do church'.  Church happens every Sunday morning.   How do…See More
Jun 16, 2019
Michael is now a member of KingdomInsight
Jun 15, 2019
Ginny Reid Radtke and Juanita are now friends
Jun 14, 2019
James Bartlett replied to Juanita's discussion Preface - The Seed 2019 Pre-Launch in the group 2019 Review of The Seed - Pre-Publication
"A "Church" House, Building, Temple, etc. is the House of the Lord, it is a place we come…"
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett liked Juanita's discussion Preface - The Seed 2019 Pre-Launch
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett joined Juanita's group
Thumbnail

People are confused.   We know how to 'do church'.  Church happens every Sunday morning.   How do…See More
Jun 11, 2019
James Bartlett and Robert H Patrick are now friends
Jun 11, 2019
Profile IconGinny Reid Radtke, James Pollard, Tom Christensen and 2 more joined KingdomInsight
Jun 8, 2019
Juanita's group was featured
Thumbnail

Jun 8, 2019

© 2021   Created by Juanita.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service